[mythtv-users] Proof of Concept a success!

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 15:07:44 UTC 2007

> But honestly, building any machine other than a NAS device or perhaps
> a file/print or even a mail server with less than 1GB of RAM is
> unusual these days, given the low prices. Certainly anything intended
> to drive a monitor would have that much RAM unless put together from
> the "junk drawer".

Actually, that's not necessarily true.  You can buy a pair of 512MB sticks
for, what, $60 or $70?  Split that between an FE and BE, and you save
yourself... $60 or $70, which you can spend on a nice programmable remote,
or heck, another capture card.

Personally, I'm running an FE and BE with 512MB in each, and my system runs
quite smoothly.  However, mine is a purely SD setup, right now, and if I
build an HD FE for my pipe-dream home theatre system, I'll go with a GB.

Brett.