[mythtv-users] Problem recording

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 16 14:13:18 UTC 2007

On 04/16/2007 08:42 AM, Erik Dansbo wrote:

 > I'm having some trouble getting my mythtv to record scheduled
 > programs.
 >
 > I have no trouble in recording liveTV nor trouble seeing the program
 > in the media library.
 >
 > I have installed mythtv on a Fedora Core 6 using the KDE desktop.
 >
 > I am using a WIN TV PCI-FM card, where I am capturing my signal from
 > the built in S-video input.
 >
 > When I want to record I have tried to manually set it up. Afterwards
 > I can find the scheduled recording in "scheduled recordings" But when
 >  mythtv should start to record I get an error.
 >
 > It simply just says recording failed.
 >
 > Hope there is someone out there who can help.

Your input connections configuration is broken.  And, yes, you can still
record LiveTV this way...

Use the "Delete all video sources" button in mythtv-setup to delete all
video sources and then re-create video sources (using DataDirect), input
connections, and channels (using the appropriate procedure, below). You
/must/ use the "Delete all video sources" button rather than deleting
individual sources or you will leave garbage in the database that
prevents things from working.

If you're using a digital source:
You should use MythTV to scan for channels, then you should edit the
xmltvid for those channels to match the appropriate DataDirect channel's
DataDirect ID.  The proper process is described at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frontend_Channel_Editor and the
process for finding the xmltvid is described at the XMLTV ID link in
Step 3 on that page.

If you're (a North American user) using an analog source:
Do /not/ scan for channels.  Instead, use the "Fetch channels from
listings source" button to download the channels and channel
configuration information from DataDirect.

If you ever change capture cards or capture card drivers (or you change
your hostname, but don't follow the instructions in the HOWTO) and have
problems with recording, you should use the "Delete all capture cards"
button to delete all capture cards after deleting all video sources.
You /must/ use "Delete all capture cards" rather than "Delete all
capture cards on <hostname>" to ensure you've deleted everything.  Then,
recreate capture cards, video sources, input connections, and finally
channels.

Why the "Delete All" approach?
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/260095#260095

What's different about the "Delete All" buttons?
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/261243#261243

Mike