[mythtv-users] Tuner cards that do HD?

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Mon Apr 16 08:35:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 02:04 -0400, Mark Bobak wrote:
> Rather than a tuner card, you might want to try an HDHomeRun.
> http://www.silicondust.com/
>
> It's a standalone box, with two tuners and a network port.  It's fully
> supported by Myth (as long as you use the 0.20-fixes branch).  Each
> tuner supports OTA or cable tuning.  But, note that for cable tuning,
> it will only tune unencrypted channels, which is going to be true for
> any solution you come up with.
>
> The nice thing is, because they're a standalone device, you avoid the
> whole kernel driver issue that you need to deal with when you're
> running a tuner card.  I'm running two of them on my new Myth setup,
> for a total of 4 tuners, strictly doing OTA in my case, and I'm happy
> with them.

Wow, looks like I'm behind the times here. So just to make sure I'm not
missing anything here:

1) I pay $169 to get the HDHomeRun
2) I plug in two coax cables and a network cord
3) I (somehow?) tell MythTV to use it
4) I watch TV?

Is it actually that easy? This looks like an awesome solution, I just
want to make sure I'm not missing any important details before I dish
out the $169. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837