[mythtv-users] Tuner cards that do HD?

Mark Bobak mbobak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 06:04:28 UTC 2007

Rather than a tuner card, you might want to try an HDHomeRun.
http://www.silicondust.com/

It's a standalone box, with two tuners and a network port.  It's fully
supported by Myth (as long as you use the 0.20-fixes branch).  Each tuner
supports OTA or cable tuning.  But, note that for cable tuning, it will only
tune unencrypted channels, which is going to be true for any solution you
come up with.

The nice thing is, because they're a standalone device, you avoid the whole
kernel driver issue that you need to deal with when you're running a tuner
card.  I'm running two of them on my new Myth setup, for a total of 4
tuners, strictly doing OTA in my case, and I'm happy with them.

Just my two cents.

-Mark