[mythtv-users] software raid 5 xfs

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 18:31:25 UTC 2007

On 4/15/07, Daniel Agar <daniel at agar.ca> wrote:

> I found those posts after some quick googling, but I wasn't sure if
> anything had changed as fc3 was mentioned.
>
> I suppose my options for software raid 5 are
> -taking my chances with jfs or xfs
> -recompiling my kernel
> -using ext3
>
> I'm seriously considering going with ext3, as I don't think slow deletes
> will really be an issue for me. My array is 4 x 320GB PATA drives.

Daniel,
I have an Athlon 64 3000+ running Fedora Core 6 i386 with (4) Samsung 250GB
drives connected to my Gigabyte onboard (NForce4) SATA-II ports.  I created
a 10GB RAID-1 on the first two drives for the OS, then the rest of the
drives (all 4) are RAID-5.  The first 10GB on drive 3 and 4 is for OS
partition-to-partition backups I do before a major distro upgrade (I
recently moved from FC4 to FC6).

I cannot give you an exact number of MythTV jobs I can run at once on this
setup, but I can tell you the RAID-5 easily handles 25MB/sec writes.  I had
a GigE connection between it and my wife's Windoze PC (single SATA drive)
and I moved some home videos to the Myth RAID-5 at that speed (over SMB).  I
believe the bottleneck was the single drive in the Windoze PC.

/Brian/