[mythtv-users] DVI connection overscan

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Sat Apr 14 18:04:51 UTC 2007

I have my Myth box hooked up to my TV via a DVI-to-HDMI converter cable.
The video card feeds DVI out, and the TV takes HDMI in. What's strange,
however, is that I still get a fair amount of overscan on the TV. I had
thought that in the case of DVI and newer connections the full signal
resolution is sent to the TV as part of the signal so no overscan is
needed.

I've overcome this with Myth by manually scaling the window, but I'd
prefer to not have to do that and to instead have the full screen
properly displayed. I had heard that the nvidia-settings utility has
overscan compensation, but I'm pretty sure that that's only when using a
TV-out signal, not a direct DVI signal. (If that setting is still there
with a DVI connection I certainly can't find it, and the interface
really isn't all that complex.)

So anyone know what's causing the overscanning and how to fix it?

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837