[mythtv-users] Directv R15-300 and MythTv

Captain Krypto captainkrypto at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 16:56:23 UTC 2007

 David Snider wrote:
> Captain Krypto wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I just recently subscribed to Directv and as a receiver I have Model:
>> R15 Vendor: 300. From what I've found, this model is made by
>> Phillips. I've been searching around and can't seem to find much info
>> on this unit in relation to MythTv. Most of the DVR forums that I've
>> been looking around in seemed to have come to the consensus that is it
>> a POS. Is anyone using this receiver model with MythTv? Also, I've
>> been looking around for the lirc.conf for this model to no avail.
>> Does anyone have the lirc.conf for this model or is there a compatible
>> config file that I could be using? Finally, I've noticed that there
>> are some USB ports on the receiver, but the manual says that they are
>> for "Future use.". Does this mean that they are disabled? Any
>> feedback on this receiver is appreciated.
>>

> I have Directv, but only use the D11-500's with MythTV. They also have
> USB ports but they work and the installer guide gives the specs on the
> proper codes to use to change channels, etc. You might want to look
> for the installer guide for that model (google) to see if the ports are
> "really" active. Otherwise, you can find D11-500's on the web for
> fairly cheap. Others use the D10's with great success as well. You can
> find a channel change script for these named directv.pl on the net.

Thanks for the info about the installer guide.  I didn't know that such a
document existed.  A quick google search turned up
http://www.sbcatest.com/DTV-MD-0058-DIRECTV%20Set-top%20Information%20for%20Installers-V2.0.pdf

It looks like I can just try the lirc.conf for the directv remotes from the
lirc website since they seem to be the same across many receivers.  Worst
case, I can make my own since the install guide has the hex codes.

Controlling the box through the USB input would be nice since it looks like
you could do a lot more than with the remote.  With a USB connection setup,
is it possible to get return codes from commands sent through the USB port?
That would be nice so as not to "step on" any recordings if the Directv
tuner is actively recording.