[mythtv-users] Making Myth versions easier to figure out a PMT is

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Apr 13 15:50:57 UTC 2007

[I wrote this a month ago and decided not to send it, but recent mail
suggests that maybe it really -is- a problem.  The idea here is both
a -UI- and a -command-line- way of unambiguously telling the version
of both the local FE and the BE and whether they're from SVN, a point
release, a point.fixes release...]

    > Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:36:59 -0500
    > From: Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net>

    > Don't forget that SVN maintains a global revision number so 12619 in
    > -fixes is different than 12619 in -trunk

Judging solely by mailing list traffic, lots of people seem to be
confused about what version they're running.

Isn't there some way to get -fixes branches, SVN, and those who create
packages to all interact in some useful way to create one single place
where people running Myth can figure out what version of something
they're running?  (Including, of course, addressing the situation when
the frontend & backend are running slightly different versions that
are nontheless schema- and protocol-compatible---this means, for
instance, that an on-screen popup [an "About Myth" box, if you will]
will have to report at least two version numbers.  It seems that
"mythbackend --version" or something just isn't enough, because
"version" seems ill-defined enough to fake out (perhaps) at least two
packagers over the last year and a half, much less random users.)

If there's some magic way to figure this out already (e.g., the code
is correct), then I submit that the documentation needs to point it
out prominently---preferably in multiple ways (e.g., HOWTO, build
instructions, wiki, whatever).