[mythtv-users] Best Filesystem Type?

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Fri Apr 13 04:22:08 UTC 2007

On Thursday 12 April 2007 09:02 pm, David Rees wrote:
> On 4/12/07, Brian Foddy <bfoddy at visi.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Doesn't it scare the wotsits off you that if for whatever reason the
> > > volume gets full you are toast?
> >
> > I disagree with the foundation of your question.  How full does it have
> > to be and what is supposed to be the disaster you predict?
>
> Dave is referring to the fact that you are storing everything on a
> RAID 0 array consisting of 5 drives, increasing your chances of data
> loss by 5 times by eliminating redundancy.
>
> Considering that most drives start dying off much more frequently as
> they approach and surpass 5 years in age, I would be worried, too!

So its not the XFS, but the disk raid itself.  Hey, its just TV shows.
Its some help they are commercial quality 10K scsi drives, but sure
they could die tomorrow and I guess I'd miss a week of my favorite
tv shows.
With a little more jingle in my pocket, I'll try and build up a
5 drive sata raid5 system, 2+ tb, but not ready for that yet.