[mythtv-users] Trouble removing ads with mythtranscode

Brent brent at brentnorris.net
Fri Apr 13 02:24:45 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:
> Benton Roberts wrote:
>
>> Hello, myth-users.
>>
>> I am having trouble deleting commercials using mythtranscode. Based on
>> the MythTV wiki documentation, here are the steps I'm trying to use to
>> remove commercials:
>>
>> #1) I mark the commercials using the editing interface in mythfrontend,
>> or let the automatic process to it. The flags work perfectly for
>> skipping the ads while playing back in mythfrontend.
>>
>> #2) I determine the file name of the recording, and choose a new name
>> for the ad-removed file.
>>     INFILE="1045_20070411225900.mpg"
>>     OUTFILE="stripped-$INFILE"
>>
>> #3) I generate the cutlist. This seems to work fine, though produces
>> disturbingly little output. Where is the cutlist stored? In the
>> database? I thought this step would create the .map file, but it doesn't.
>>     mythcommflag --gencutlist -f $INFILE
>> 	    2007-04-12 16:08:53.200 Using runtime prefix = /usr
>>         2007-04-12 16:08:53.326 New DB connection, total: 1
>>         2007-04-12 16:08:53.338 New DB connection, total: 2
>>
>> #4) I create a new, hopefully-shortened MPEG file.
>>     mythtranscode --honorcutlist --mpeg2 --showprogress -i $INFILE -o
>> $OUTFILE
>> This process also looks like it's working correctly. That is, no errors
>> are displayed, and it creates $OUTFILE and $OUTFILE.map files. The
>> $OUTFILE is smaller than the $INFILE, but not by the amount that it
>> should be (I think the slightly diminished size is a result of
>> conversion from MPEG-TS to MPES-PS).
>>
>> [root at media tv]# ls -l $INFILE $OUTFILE*
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root mythtv 2091966464 Apr 11 23:31 1045_20070411225900.mpg
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root mythtv 2036125700 Apr 12 19:04
>> stripped-1045_20070411225900.mpg
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root mythtv      62330 Apr 12 19:04
>> stripped-1045_20070411225900.mpg.map
>>
>> So each command LOOKS like it's working -- but the resulting $OUTFILE
>> still has the commercials!  >-{
>> What did I miss?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -b
>>

> Try this:
>
> Set up a transcode profile for lossless mpeg to mpeg transcoding.
>
> Start playing the show you want to edit. Press E to enter edit mode,
> press Z to import the commercial skip list. Move the cut points around
> as required. Press E to exit and save. Use the menu system to schedule
> the show for transcoding using your lossless profile. See if that does
> what you want. Works for me with both SD and HD programming.

That does work, but if you read the options that the programs present as
I see it what he wants to do
 should work.  I have tried it this way before too and I don't get why
it doesn't work either.  I have some shows that the commercial detection
ALWAYS gets right, and I don't want to have to go in and tell it to edit
them out by hand.  I would just rather it cut them out automatically.
So I set it up in a similar way to the above and it doesn't cut the
commercials out.  So I setup the script that is in the WIKI and all it
does is fill up my hard drive with multiple copies of the files.

Why can't you just --generatecutlist, and then --honorcutlist with the
two programs and have it work?

Brent