[mythtv-users] Ok Backend seems worked out, in my head -- just a couple more frontend questions

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Thu Apr 12 20:17:29 UTC 2007

Chris Funk wrote:

> Any particular reason you can't use it to get rid of your DVR?  I have
> a dct6412 and the only time it has gotten used since i started using
> myth again 2 months ago was to watch the Sopranos in HD last week. It
> is going back to comcast soon.  Obviously you still need an stb for
> digital channels, but you could drop the extra 9 bucks a month to rent
> the dvr.  If you are renting that is.
>
> Chris

Well -- I like to watch the following shows religiously in hd:
Sopranos, Rome, entourage.  Those are simply not possible to record with
Myth.

The way I see it, my alternative to the comcast DVR would be to install
a myth with a couple of analog and HD tuners.  The analogs would get my
normal DVR shows (Sci Fi Channel stuff mostly), and the digitals would
get the off -the-air shows (but off of the Comcast cable -- they're on
there somewhere).

Now:  Here's the rub:  I couldn't get any of the premium channels at ALL
from comcast if I lose the DVR.  And, they don't have HD STB's anymore.
So the $12/month (I think it's 12, not 9 for the hd version) is never
going to go away.

So it comes down to trading a 2 tuner hd dvr that sucks, for a
multi-tuner DVR that does not do premium digital.

I'm considering ending up with the following next to my TV-- but now
there's no hurry, since I won't be "saving" any money:

Comcast DVR (For the "gotta have" shows -- and for HD movies")
MythTV Frontend with DVD burner.
Legacy VHS for kids.

(Right now I have Comcast DVR)
Media Center Thingie w/ DVD
DVD Burner / Player
Legacy VHS

Maybe to get started instead of doing a Frontend, I'll actually put a
disk in it, but still, it's quite a chunk of change, to still have that
monthly payment.

As much as I'd love to move to Myth . . . Comcast and the DMCA are
making it REALLY hard.

I don't want to just dump a PC in my entertainment center, so I'd need a
decent looking case (like from silverstonetek).  And I'd need the tuners
& display cards.  (I have mobo's memory, and disks)

So, I'm looking at an initial investment of:

Case / IR goodies / etc: $200
Decent Video Card $60
Video Capture Cards: $unk -- $200 ish?

So, $500 to get started!  Owie with the $12/month :(

Or, can you think of a simpler method?

-Dave

--

David Frascone

                The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant.