[mythtv-users] Ok Backend seems worked out, in my head -- just a couple more frontend questions

Chris Funk cfunk30myth at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 20:57:18 UTC 2007

On 4/12/07, David Frascone <dave at frascone.com> wrote:

> Chris Funk wrote:
> >
> > Any particular reason you can't use it to get rid of your DVR?  I have
> > a dct6412 and the only time it has gotten used since i started using
> > myth again 2 months ago was to watch the Sopranos in HD last week. It
> > is going back to comcast soon.  Obviously you still need an stb for
> > digital channels, but you could drop the extra 9 bucks a month to rent
> > the dvr.  If you are renting that is.
> >
> > Chris
>
> Well -- I like to watch the following shows religiously in hd:
> Sopranos, Rome, entourage.  Those are simply not possible to record with
> Myth.
>
> The way I see it, my alternative to the comcast DVR would be to install
> a myth with a couple of analog and HD tuners.  The analogs would get my
> normal DVR shows (Sci Fi Channel stuff mostly), and the digitals would
> get the off -the-air shows (but off of the Comcast cable -- they're on
> there somewhere).
>
> Now:  Here's the rub:  I couldn't get any of the premium channels at ALL
> from comcast if I lose the DVR.  And, they don't have HD STB's anymore.
> So the $12/month (I think it's 12, not 9 for the hd version) is never
> going to go away.
>
> So it comes down to trading a 2 tuner hd dvr that sucks, for a
> multi-tuner DVR that does not do premium digital.
>
> I'm considering ending up with the following next to my TV-- but now
> there's no hurry, since I won't be "saving" any money:
>
> Comcast DVR (For the "gotta have" shows -- and for HD movies")
> MythTV Frontend with DVD burner.
> Legacy VHS for kids.
>
> (Right now I have Comcast DVR)
> Media Center Thingie w/ DVD
> DVD Burner / Player
> Legacy VHS
>
> Maybe to get started instead of doing a Frontend, I'll actually put a
> disk in it, but still, it's quite a chunk of change, to still have that
> monthly payment.
>
> As much as I'd love to move to Myth . . . Comcast and the DMCA are
> making it REALLY hard.
>
> I don't want to just dump a PC in my entertainment center, so I'd need a
> decent looking case (like from silverstonetek).  And I'd need the tuners
> & display cards.  (I have mobo's memory, and disks)
>
> So, I'm looking at an initial investment of:
>
> Case / IR goodies / etc: $200
> Decent Video Card $60
> Video Capture Cards: $unk -- $200 ish?
>
> So, $500 to get started!  Owie with the $12/month :(
>
> Or, can you think of a simpler method?
>
> -Dave
>
> --
>
> David Frascone
>
>                 The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant.

I hear you on the Sopranos, Entourage thing.  Somtimes I wish I had never
gotten HD, then at least I wouldn't know what I was missing.

To be honest with you, my wife asks me all the time why we don't just use
the comcast dvr rather than myth.  I don't have a good answer for her. (but
I never seem to anyway so that is nothing new) :-)   I could go on and on
and tell her about how with myth I have control over the system and we can
store x times as many shows and we have a video/audio/picture jukebox with
it and commercial skip etc etc.  But all she has to do is say ok, let's
watch last weeks Entourage in HD.  Dang, she wins again. :-)

I started off using myth simply to store dvd's from netflix, (of course
deleteing them after they had been watched) Don't think that is any less
illegal however. then got firewire working with the dct6200, then got a
pvr-500.  I just really enjoy tinkering with it.  I think Myth is a great
product and the devs and packagers and all other contributers have done an
incredible job getting it to where it is today. In the end however it may
just come back to "ok, let's watch last weeks Entourage in HD", which as you
say "comcast and DMCA are making it really hard" to do with Myth.

Sorry, kinda got off on a tangent there.  So no, I guess I don't know of a
simplier method.  But if there is one, there are plenty of people on this
list that are a lot wiser in the ways of Myth than me.

Chris