[mythtv-users] pci -e 1x video cards?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 12 15:13:40 UTC 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 9:03 AM, Graham Wood wrote:

>> No. But obviously an x1 card will not be able to move data as fast as
>> a 16x.
> Definitely true.
>
>> But for "normal" desktop accelerated video usage I suspect an x1 card
>> would be a pretty poor performer.
> Only if an AGP x1 (or PCI) card would have the same problem.
>
> Bandwidth of PCIe 1x is comparable to AGP x1, and about double PCI
> (32bit, 33MHz, since that's the most common).  I've got a myth box I
> use running with a PCI card that's pretty usable.

PCI cards are being used by some folks, but I've never heard of one
giving acceptable performance with HD.

Yan didn't mention the intended use for this machine, but considering
the list topic I suspect it might be for Myth, and I'd hate to see
anybody buying hardware these days that would have a problem with HD.

If anyone can report good HD performance with a PCI, or even an AGP1x
card, I'd be interested to hear it.

OTOH even a frame buffer can output HD resolutions, witness my PS3,
but might get into trouble with Myth menus, especially the OpenGL ones.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org