[mythtv-users] Best Filesystem Type?

Charles Mason charlie.mas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 12:22:04 UTC 2007

On 4/11/07, Robert Current <robert.current at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was reading about MythTV for a few days before installing, and I
> read because of the file size, ext2 and ext3 were not great choices,
> but JFS was great...

To be honest I don't think it matters that much. I have a server
mostly dedicated to mythtv, I use it for a few other bits of testing
web sites and asterisk.

It uses ext3 and I have never had any problems with it. I have my tv
and other media storage in a RAID 5 1tb array. It works great. You
don't really need access that quick as long as its faster than mythtv
is record/playing back it its fine. On modern systems there's plenty
of head room. Only if you had several of tuners and simultaneous
viewers would you really start to worry.

Even then you need to also take into account that any external access
will be over a lan, which unless you are going to use gigabit
Ethernet, its far more likely to be your bandwidth bottle neck.

If your machine is a general desktop pc which you also use a
mythbackend on then it may be a little more important, as there will
potentially be lots of access to the disk already.

Ext3 is rock solid, so unless you are experiencing performance
problems I wouldn't bother thinking about other file systems. Most of
the other file systems have a few stability issues, not on all systems
admittedly, but personally the file system is one thing I defiantly
want to be stable.

Charlie