[mythtv-users] Best Filesystem Type?

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 13:44:22 UTC 2007

>     Interesting comment on XFS.  I am getting a fair number of backend
> crashes ~2-3 per week.
>     I use XFS for the recording volume and Ext3 for everything else.
>     Do you know if XFS is still a possible cause of instability if only
> used
> for recordings?

Speaking for my system, absolutely.  Using XFS, I was seeing kernel oopses
that increased in frequency with the amount of random hard disk access
(multiple recordings running simultaneously, recording while downloading
with bittorrent, etc).  Moving to ext3 solved all my stability problems, and
my backend has since been running for 68 days straight with no problems.
Note, no other changes to system configuration were made, aside from the
filesystem of my recordings partition (the main OS partition had always been
running on ext3).

For reference, this is on a Fedora system running kernel 2.6.18-1.2257.fc5.

Brett.