[mythtv-users] Best Filesystem Type?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 08:27:26 UTC 2007

>     Interesting comment on XFS.  I am getting a fair number of backend
> crashes ~2-3 per week.
>     I use XFS for the recording volume and Ext3 for everything else.
>     Do you know if XFS is still a possible cause of instability if only used
> for recordings?

I don't think it's a proven, hard fact type of thing. I got suspicious
that it was XFS causing my lockups where the system just froze,
wouldn't respond to the remote/keyboard/SSH etc. I found newgroup
postings from others who were reporting similar problems with XFS. I
upgraded to FC5 and chose JFS as the file system on the new install
rather than XFS and now no more lockups. However - that could be
because of the FC5 upgrade, so I don't treat this as proof. I think
the only way you can find out is to change hrte file system type, but
that of course means losing all your recordings, unless you can back
them up somewhere.

Good luck,
Phill