[mythtv-users] Linux for VIA EPIA-M

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Wed Apr 11 06:30:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, April 11, 2007 08:06, James Warden wrote:
> I have a friend with a C3 based epia board. He runs
> debian etch without any problems. I have a C7 based
> board (epia EN12000-EG fanless) running debian sid,
> and I use it mainly as a backend for all sorts of
> things, including mythtv, and sometimes as a frontend.
> It runs pretty well, in my opinion (I successfully use
> it as a dhcp, nfs, tftp server and can run diskless
> clients in my LAN). Kernel 2.6.21 has now support for
> C7 proc by the way.
> OK, it's a bit OT ... :)
>

> J.
>

> --- David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
>
>> Brian Wood wrote:
>> > Way OT I guess, but:
>> >
>> > I ran Gentoo on the machine for a while.
>>
>> Yeah, so did I.  It works pretty well, but I highly
>> recommend setting up
>> distcc so you can offload the compiling work to
>> another machine.  gcc's
>> performance on C3 processors is downright glacial,
>> probably due to the
>> small cache.

I have an EPIA-v8000 running Asterisk on Ubuntu Edgy Etch. It is
netbooting, has a 2 slot PCI extender with 2 HFC-PCI cards for ISDN
access.

All is working (except for freePBX (formerly AMP), which has some (as yet)
unidentified issue with the database access. It would help if the forum
and mailinglist admins for freePBX would approve my subscription requests)

--
F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250