[mythtv-users] Alternative to FX 5200 w/TV-out

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Apr 11 01:28:21 UTC 2007

On Apr 10, 2007, at 7:18 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Angus wrote:
>> I've searched high and low for an FX 5200 video card with TV-out
>> that's
>> PCI 2.2-compatible without a fan, but the few that are out there have
>> been elusive. Currently I'm on eBay trying to find an AGP
>> motherboard,
>> since AGP FX 5200 video cards abound.
>> I thought that before I go as far as replacing my motherboard to
>> suit a
>> video card (which I'd also have to buy) I'd ask *again* if someone
>> can
>> recommend an older video card who's TV out works well with Linux/
>> MythTV.

Not that I know offhand where to find one, but:

The 5xxx cards with heatsink/fan combos can have that H/F replaced by
a fanless heatsink, which is generally larger and contains more metal
than the HS on the usual fan-type card, and thus costs more.

I try and find the fanless cards not so much because of the noise but
because I'm sick and tired of having to take multi-hundred dollar
machines down because the maker wanted to save $2 by using a crappy fan.

I'd happily pay top dollar for good ball-bearing fans on video cards,
in PSUs, on mobos and in cases, but such fans are very difficult to
find.

Of all the machines I've had to repair over many decades I'd have to
say fan failure was the most common problem (and other problems
resulting from overheating due to fan failure).

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org