[mythtv-users] NVP: prebuffering pause

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 18:51:58 UTC 2007

On 4/10/07, Marcos Iuato <iuato at samurai.com.br> wrote:

> I have checked hardware requisites for mythtv and I thought my hardware
> would be ok, but I am getting a lot of "NVP: prebuffering pause" and
> when it happens image gets freeze when watching live tv.
>
> I have the following hardware:
> * Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor         1.20GHz
> * 256 Mb Ram
> * Prolink PlayTV USB 2.0
>
> Software:
> * Debian etch
> * Ext3 for system partition
> * XFS for video partition
> * mythtv 0.20-svn20070223-0.0
> * kernel 2.6.18.
>
> I have already tried several optimizations howtos, but I could't stop
> getting this message.
>
> * Running mythfrontend with Elevated Privileges
> * Maximizing Hard Drive Throughput
> * Using XFS for File System
>
> Whatelse could I do to troubleshoot this problem?
>
> Cheers,
> Marcos Iuato

A 1.2Ghz Celeron is kinda of low for a frame grabber.  On average they say
you need a 1ghz per frame grabber but thats with a Athlon or P4.  Celeron's
are not as efficient as those.  To do some tests..

Can you record TV then watch the recording fine?
When you are watching live tv open up a new xterm and run top or htop (htop
makes more sense to the new user, install it with yum/apt-get)
If you are above 90% thats probably the issue.

Some suggestions on fixing this...
If using a nvidia video card make sure you are using the nvidia drivers and
enable XvMC.
Upgrade your processor.
buy a hardware encoded card such as a PVR-150.  (this will only work if you
can currently watch recordings while not recording.)

Mitchell