[mythtv-users] DVB-S cards

Max Hodgson max at mjhodgson.com
Tue Apr 10 18:21:38 UTC 2007

At 17:43 10/04/2007, you wrote:

>I'd be interested to know if it's possible to get the FTV channels (*)
>via an expired sky card or one of the "freesat" cards without the need
>to return the card to the sky box once a month for updating.  Mainly
>because I don't have and never have had a sky subscription - I installed
>my own dish and box.

Looking at a similar idea being discussed on the Windows Media Center on
another forum (it always helps to see what the competition are upto ;-) ),
I remember reading that the card still needs to be refreshed in a real sky
box every so often.

>It would be nice to get Channel 4, Five and E4 in digital because at the
>minute I'm getting C4 and Five from Analog and the quality leaves
>something to be desired :-(  DVB-T is iffy in my area which is why I
>went down the DVB-S route.

You won't get E4 on a Freesat setup. E4 and More4 are free on DVB-T, but
oddly not free on Freesat from sky. You'll need a sky sub for these + others.

mjh