[mythtv-users] DVB-S cards

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Tue Apr 10 16:43:32 UTC 2007

Stroller wrote:
>>> Cheers, I've looked around on various fora and have seen no success
>>> stories under Linux, although plenty under windows :o(
>> Here's one - I use a DVB-S card with my (valid) Sky card on my
>> MythTV set up.
>>
>> I have the Technotrend TT-budget S-1500 DVB-S card with add-on CI
>> daughter card and a T-Rex 4.1 CAM.  I bought the card and CI
>> daughter from Germany - http://www.dvbshop.net/  and the T-Rex from
>> ebay.  I use the SVN builds of Myth (for some reason the 0.20
>> release didn't work with my CAM) and can happily decrypt all the
>> channels I pay for on Sky (but I don't have any of the premium
>> channels - but C4, E4, Discovery, MTV,etc all work).  It is
>> possible to enter your Sky digibox serial number to the CAM (I can
>> do it with the CAS3+ programmer I bought) which then should enable
>> it to work with the premium channels (Sports and Movies) - but I
>> haven't done that yet.
>>
>> It was plug and play for me.  I use a current kernel (2.6.20 I
>> think but it worked on.19 as well) on FC6 and everything worked out
>> of the box.  I have to return my Sky card to the digibox once a
>> month/6-weeks or so to 'refresh' the keys on the Sky card.
>>
>> As far as I'm aware it's completely legal as long as you have a
>> valid Sky card, and the quality I get is very good (better I
>> imagine than captured digibox output since it stays in the digital
>> domain until I play it on my TV).
>
> w00t!
>
> I'm glad to hear that.
>
> I really can't see myself being interested enough in premium channels
> to pay a subscription, so I'll only bother with this myself if I find
> myself missing out on stuff that I'd have liked to watch on the five
> (??) FTV channels, but it's very nice to know that the option is
> available if you want it.
>
> I think that the FTV channels can be received with an expired Sky
> card, or you can buy (for £20) a card which is intended for use only
> for FTV channels. Presumably these cards do not need updating via a
> digibox?

I'd be interested to know if it's possible to get the FTV channels (*)
via an expired sky card or one of the "freesat" cards without the need
to return the card to the sky box once a month for updating.  Mainly
because I don't have and never have had a sky subscription - I installed
my own dish and box.

It would be nice to get Channel 4, Five and E4 in digital because at the
minute I'm getting C4 and Five from Analog and the quality leaves
something to be desired :-(  DVB-T is iffy in my area which is why I
went down the DVB-S route.

Robert.

* legally of course - and they are _free_ to view so why shouldn't I get
them?