[mythtv-users] QT MySQL plugin configurable?

Paul Mason latepaul at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 17:10:17 UTC 2007

I know this isn't strictly a MythTV issue but I thought I'd ask her as
someone's likely to know.

So I spent most of my Bank Holiday re-building my MythTV box to add a hard
drive. In order to make best use of that I had to upgrade my distro - so I
went from SuSE 9.3 to FC6. (the former AFAICT doesn't have support for
logical volumes). All of which is a preamble to explain how I came to do a
back up from a version of MySQL I built from source to one installed from
FC6 rpms. My "backup" consisted of a dump of the database and a copy of
/etc/my.cnf.

Now the rebuild itself was slow but tediously easy, but I hit a snag with
MySQL. I could access mythconverg using mysql client and verify that my data
was there but mythbackend et al refused to connect. It complained that it
couldn't find /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock - which was fair enough because it
was set in my.cnf to use /tmp/mysql.sock. I assumed this was some setting
somewhere but I couldn't find it. I eventually found out that MythTV used
the QT MySQL plugin library and that that was using a default value
(/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock). If I hadn't overwritten the my.cnf installed as
part of the MySQL rpm with the one I'd backed up (which truth be told only
had one change from the default anyway) I wouldn't have had this problem
since, naturally, everything would have been consistent.

Eventually I gave up and changed /etc/my.cnf to use
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock and everything then worked.

Bear in mind, I don't have access to the internet at home at the moment, so
I was relying on what documentation I'd thought to grab whilst at work and
just investigating the system (using ldd to trace which libraries were used
etc). Having said that I did google this morning but couldn't find out
where, if anywhere, this setting can be changed for the QT plugin.

Is this setting really not configurable or have I simply not found it?

Thanks

--
Paul Mason