[mythtv-users] Smoother video playback?

Ben Lancaster lists at benlancaster.co.uk
Tue Apr 10 12:23:26 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm sure this is an oft-discussed topic, but one where the arguments
change every time there's a new driver revision.

So, at time of writing does anyone have any recommendation for which
NVidia driver version to stick with as far as XvMC is concerned?

I'm a little bugged by the smoothness of DVB MPEG-2 playback (SD) -
it's not unwatchable, but nowhere near as smooth as playback on
*coughs* MS-MCE on the same hardware - especially when the picture
pans, or there's fast movement.

I've experimented with various Modelines (and settled with
1280x720_60 from the NVidia pool), and countless combinations of
playback mode/deint settings. XvMC and BOB has thus far proved the
smoothest. CPU usage rarely

My hardware (FWIW):

Nvidia FX5200 (AGP)
Intel P4 2.8GHz (EM64T - HT)