[mythtv-users] Is locking tables important when backing up mythconverg?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Apr 10 03:33:48 UTC 2007

Tony Lill <ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca> says:
> I don't remember if you said why you were doing the backups,
> protecting against hardware stupidity or application stupidity.

Neither! Both! Not sure!

I got burned a few times by
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/242065#242065>.
I run the optimize_mythdb.pl script when my frontend/master backend
reboots (as well as before mythfilldatabase runs) and, twice, the
script blew away a few weeks' worth of seektables
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/254384#254384>).

The first-mentioned issue hasn't recurred in the past couple of
months. (I don't know if it's because of some software upgrade, or
merely because intensive system-disk access triggers it and I've
simply minimized the proclivity by a while back having moved the
mythconverg database and associated logfiles to the frontend/master
backend's RAID 5 array.) So, I suspect I can probably safely return to
only running mysqldump every four or six hours.