[mythtv-users] Limit CD-ROM drive speed for MythMusic?

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Tue Apr 10 01:19:23 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 06:54:10PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/27/2007 02:59 PM, Ben Lancaster wrote:
> > Anybody know how to limit the optical drive speed for playing audio
> > CDs (and only audio CDs)? Nothing quite like the whirr of the drive
> > to ruin a great album!
>
> Stanley Kamithi implemented this feature for DVD playback using the
> internal player, and I'm sure that if you were to create a similar patch
> for MythMusic, it would be seriously considered for inclusion.

Curiously is there an issue when using this ioctl() with SATA optical
drives?  I ask because I have two identical drives (with the exception
that one is PATA and one is SATA; one is a SONY AW-G170A the other
AW-G170S).  When using mythvideo with the PATA drive it will be nice and
quiet when playing a DVD.  The SATA drive appears to be spinning at full
speed and is very loud.  This also happens on a different machine with a
different SATA optical drive (unknown make and model).

--
seth / @sethdaniel.org
Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.