[mythtv-users] MythTV performance in a demanding real-lifeenvironment

Henry A Harper III hah at alumni.rice.edu
Mon Apr 9 18:43:17 UTC 2007

> On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 09:01:23AM -0400, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > * On Mon Apr 09, 2007 at 12:18:43AM -0700, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> > Just wanted to comment on the commflag jobs.  A ~realtime commflag
> > job normally uses much less CPU than a non-realtime job because most
> > machines can flag much faster than realtime, so the ~realtime job
> > spends most of it's time just sleeping waiting to process the next
> > frame.  Just wanted to clarify in case anyone tries to compare
> > running X ~realtime vs X (or Y) non-realtime.
>
> Is this statement for SD or HD (flagging running faster than
> realtime)?

I'm guessing it will depend on the processor :) but my 4600 x2 can flag an
hour of 720p in about 20 minutes, and an hour of 1080i takes closer to 30
minutes. I have it set to run my commflag and flash-transcode jobs one at a
time in the early morning because the flash transcode thashes the disks
pretty noisily. Non-real-time commflag doesn't bother me because I seem to
be about a month behind in watching.