[mythtv-users] DVB-S cards

Peter Spikings peter at spikings.com
Sun Apr 8 22:41:11 UTC 2007

Mike Dent wrote:
> On 4/6/07, Peter Spikings <peter at spikings.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just realised the possibility of using DVB-S card(s) instead of the
>> PVR-250 + Digibox combination (I'm in the UK). I'm a bit unsure however
>> on the details of this would work however.... I'd like to be able to
>> record two or more channels at once (or otherwise I may as well stay
>> with my current setup!).
>>

> So are you saying with one of these cards, and your Sky subscription
> card inserted, it is possible to decode Sky encrypted channels?
> I thought Sky had some kinds of special encryption which was only
> available in their Sky boxes? Has this changed?
> Seems a neat solution to use with Myth to replace the external Sky box
> I have if it works.

Hmm.... I don't have a Sky subscription (I used to but cancelled it when
it got extortionate) so didn't think about the card but now that I *do*
think about it the card is needed for free-to-view channels (CH4 +
Five?) Hmm, I don't really watch those but I don't want to rule them
out! I presume you can't view FTV channels with a DVB-S card?

Peter.