[mythtv-users] DVB-S cards

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Sun Apr 8 09:53:36 UTC 2007

Peter Spikings wrote:
> Thanks, great answers! :)
>
> Robert wrote:
>> Peter Spikings wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just realised the possibility of using DVB-S card(s) instead of the
>>> PVR-250 + Digibox combination (I'm in the UK). I'm a bit unsure however
>>> on the details of this would work however.... I'd like to be able to
>>> record two or more channels at once (or otherwise I may as well stay
>>> with my current setup!).
>>>
>> Ok, here goes.  I've recently setup a Mythtv system using DVB-S in the
>> UK, so I should be able to answer most of these!
>>

>>> * Presumably I'll need as many cards for this as I want to record channels?
>>>
>> Simple answer: Yes.  Slightly longer answer: each demux on DVB-S
>> contains a number of different channels so you can potentially record
>> many-at-once with a single card so long as all channels are on the same
>> demux.  This doesn't work in mythtv yet, but there have been a few mails
>> about getting donations together to pay someone to do this.
>>
> If I had time I might have a stab at doing that!

Checkout the threads about Help Sponser MythTVMultiplex then :-)

<snip>

>>> * Is the Sky supplied EPG data as good as the RadioTimes data I now get
>>> through XMLTV?
>>>
>> I'm not using the DVB-S EPG data - I've only ever managed to get now and
>> next. (But I've not got a sky box).  You can still use XMLTV though.
>>
> I guess the main advantage to using the Sky EPG would be automatically
> getting the ends of sport matches that go into overtime!

Yes, I guess so.  I'm assuming that it is possible to have XMLTV as the
main source and update the listings using the EPG data - I've never
looked into it, but I kind of get the impression that it can be done.

<snip>

>>> * I think my dish may have been blown slightly out of alignment,
>>> sometimes (but not very often) I experience break up of the signal, will
>>> that be worse using DVB-S cards? (I'd try and fix that but the dish is
>>> mounted pretty high and I don't have access to a ladder!)
>>>
>> I had a lot of problems with this.  I found that my NVidia graphics card
>> interfered with the capture card.  I didn't think it was to do with dish
>> alignment as my set top box worked fine.  However I eventually realigned
>> my dish and the problems went away.  I think as a general rule if you
>> can improve the incoming signal you should!
>>
> I'll need to get up there somehow to replace my single LNB with a duel /
> quad one, I found a quad LNB for £20 somewhere!

It's worth doing.  I got my Dual LNB from Maplins, if you have one
nearby.  Think it was about £30 - plus you can just walk in and but
them.  I think I've heard that there is something "different" about the
Sky stuff.  Might be worth looking into this before you buy.  I.e. they
use those little oval dishes rather than round ones - I'm not sure if
this affects the the type of LNB you need.

>>> * I currently have no Sky subscription, is it possible to get the BBC HD
>>> channels without one? Do you need a special type of card for this? (This
>>> is academic atm as I don't have a HD TV but I want to future proof my
>>> Myth box).
>>>
>> Yes.  I can record it.  It's currently broadcast in DVB-S  (not the
>> newer DVB-S2 which is intended for HD I believe)  But it's H323 and you
>> need a fairly powerful machine to play it back.  (Mine is too slow :-(  )
>>
> I assume you mean H264? :)

Doh.  Yes!  Thats the one.

Robert.