[mythtv-users] DVB-S cards

Peter Spikings peter at spikings.com
Sun Apr 8 09:41:10 UTC 2007

Thanks, great answers! :)

Robert wrote:
> Peter Spikings wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just realised the possibility of using DVB-S card(s) instead of the
>> PVR-250 + Digibox combination (I'm in the UK). I'm a bit unsure however
>> on the details of this would work however.... I'd like to be able to
>> record two or more channels at once (or otherwise I may as well stay
>> with my current setup!).
>>

> Ok, here goes.  I've recently setup a Mythtv system using DVB-S in the
> UK, so I should be able to answer most of these!
>

>> * Presumably I'll need as many cards for this as I want to record channels?
>>

> Simple answer: Yes.  Slightly longer answer: each demux on DVB-S
> contains a number of different channels so you can potentially record
> many-at-once with a single card so long as all channels are on the same
> demux.  This doesn't work in mythtv yet, but there have been a few mails
> about getting donations together to pay someone to do this.

If I had time I might have a stab at doing that!

>> * Can the LNB on my satellite dish (was installed by Sky in late 2003
>> but don't know the make) supply two (or more) cards using a splitter?
>>

> Short answer: No.  For each demux you want to record from, you need an
> LNB.  So in essence you need a dual / quad LNB.  I believe the newer Sky
> LNBs have multiple outputs for things like Sky+.  Splitters on satellite
> don't work in the same way as splitters on ariels - you can split the
> signal, but everyone connected to the split has to watch the same channel.

Yes, I just checked the LNB at my in-laws, they have Sky+ as well as a
normal digibox in another room, 3 of the connections out of the quad-LNB
are used - 2 of them to the Sky+ box
>> * Is the Sky supplied EPG data as good as the RadioTimes data I now get
>> through XMLTV?
>>

> I'm not using the DVB-S EPG data - I've only ever managed to get now and
> next. (But I've not got a sky box).  You can still use XMLTV though.

I guess the main advantage to using the Sky EPG would be automatically
getting the ends of sport matches that go into overtime!
>> * Are there any recommendations for cards to use? (I'm using Gentoo
>> hence using a recent kernel is not a problem)
>>

> Err.  Not sure.  Personally I have an hauppauge  HVR3000 - it's not very
> well supported, the drivers are experimental and as a result I'm
> currently stuck at kernel 2.6.18.
>

>> * I think my dish may have been blown slightly out of alignment,
>> sometimes (but not very often) I experience break up of the signal, will
>> that be worse using DVB-S cards? (I'd try and fix that but the dish is
>> mounted pretty high and I don't have access to a ladder!)
>>

> I had a lot of problems with this.  I found that my NVidia graphics card
> interfered with the capture card.  I didn't think it was to do with dish
> alignment as my set top box worked fine.  However I eventually realigned
> my dish and the problems went away.  I think as a general rule if you
> can improve the incoming signal you should!

I'll need to get up there somehow to replace my single LNB with a duel /
quad one, I found a quad LNB for £20 somewhere!
>> * I currently have no Sky subscription, is it possible to get the BBC HD
>> channels without one? Do you need a special type of card for this? (This
>> is academic atm as I don't have a HD TV but I want to future proof my
>> Myth box).
>>

> Yes.  I can record it.  It's currently broadcast in DVB-S  (not the
> newer DVB-S2 which is intended for HD I believe)  But it's H323 and you
> need a fairly powerful machine to play it back.  (Mine is too slow :-(  )

I assume you mean H264? :)

Thanks,

Peter.