[mythtv-users] Data Direct "service"

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Sat Apr 7 22:51:59 UTC 2007

Bruce Markey wrote:
> That said, I honestly have always believed that one or more
> people [AND I AM NOT THAT PERSON] has maintained a copy of the
> XMLTV North America grabber that can grab from tvlistings.com .
> If the DataDirect service became unavailable [WHICH I DO NOT
> ANTICIPATE AND CERTAINLY HOPE DOES NOT HAPPEN], a scraper would
> come to light [FROM SOMEONE THAT I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF] and be
> widely distributed within days [AND I WOULD HAVE NOTHING TO DO
> WITH ITS DISTRIBUTION].
>
> [I DIDN'T PLOT TO KILL JFK EITHER!]

Thinking about DNS and NTP and other servers/protocols, would it not be
possible for one to write (but not widely distribute) a screen scraper
that could in turn answer requests and return XML, just as DD does?  And
if a few dozen (or a few hundred) people ran those screen scrapers, then
everyone else sucked that data, then TMS is not overburdened, no new
software is needed for myth, and the bandwidth burden is spread.

Thoughts?