[mythtv-users] Compilation Issues

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Apr 6 02:47:57 UTC 2007

Joel Means wrote:
> I have a question about compiling Myth.  I am working on upgrading my
> backend and separate frontend to the latest trunk from SVN.  The backend
> went fine, but I have a problem on the frontend.  The frontend is built
> on a Via MII10000 board.  Since it is still in use and is very slow to
> compile, I am just throwing together a system using another desktop.  I
> have put together a working, bootable system on the desktop and used it
> to compile and install Mythtv.  Everything works great.  So, I copied
> the system onto a compact flash card and used a cf-to-ide adapter in the
> frontend.  The system boots, but I get a segmentation fault when I try
> to run mythfrontend.  I am just wondering if this is due to Myth being
> compiled on an Athlon processor instead of on the Via itself.  I used
> "--arch=i386" in configuring mythtv to try and get around this problem,
> but I get the segmentation fault.  Is there another arch I need to use,
> or should I just leave that out, or do I have to compile it on the
> processor on which it will be used?  Any advice is appreciated.

You will miss a number of the advantages of the Via board if you do not
optimize it. I suggest you try the compilation onboard. Surely you can
do what I do: last thing at night, start the compile and then go to bed.
Check in the morning.
Admittedly, I have an advantage, in that the box is not needed during
the day, so i can start another pass, in the morning.
But I very very very rarely now have a problem using my compile scripts,
to configure, make and make install mythtv, mythplugins and myththemes
in one go. Takes about 45 minutes on an SP13000. (Make clean and/or make
distclean are optional.)

Geoff