[mythtv-users] DVD Rip - nothing except ISO works

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Thu Apr 5 20:50:08 UTC 2007

> 1) If watching the movie using the internal player works, why would
> Perfect or ISO rip not work?

Importing with Perfect and playing don't use the same code or mechanism. Yes
the player works a bit better, though it fails more often than something
like xine. Different levels of error correction and recovery.

> What if I did the rip and checked the "view while ripping" box?  Would
> that do something differently?

It isn't actually a "view while ripping" button, it is just there to let you
launch a player that will show that title (letting you see if it is
something you want). If you use the internal player, well it currently
doesn't work well.

> 2) I recall that there was some mention of putting code into mtd to be
> more forgiving about bad packets / reads (due to scratches, dust, etc.).
> Is there any code (or even pseudo code) written for this?  I'd be
> interested in experimenting with the coding, but I'm not quite sure
> where to start at this point.

Yes, some code exists, I have to move it out of my working copy when I do
local builds that I want to work. It is currently broken and is just waiting
for me to have a largish amount of time to spend on mtd. Simple error
recovery is actually not very difficult, for the most part things are at a
specific stride in a given title. My basic fix will attempt to correct
missteps by looking where the next packet "should" be rather than where we
are told it is (very often the "next step" is clearly invalid).

--
Anduin Withers