[mythtv-users] DVD Rip - nothing except ISO works

Brian C. Huffman bhuffman at graze.net
Thu Apr 5 20:24:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Anduin Withers wrote:

>> Yes.  And this has worked in the past - although it has been a while since
>> I've mostly used the ISO rip since it was implemented:
>
> If ISO works, Perfect often works (the other quality levels all do a Perfect
> and then transcode the result), or there will be an error in that mtd.log
> file. The quality of some DVDs, often combined with modern attempts to "not
> let you do that" make mtd fail much more frequently (mtd currently makes no
> attempt to survive a failed nav packet or read)

I'll probably put an strace on mtd to see what's going on here.

A couple more questions though:

1) If watching the movie using the internal player works, why would
Perfect or ISO rip not work?¿½ What if I did the rip and checked the
"view while ripping" box?¿½ Would that do something differently?

2) I recall that there was some mention of putting code into mtd to be
more forgiving about bad packets / reads (due to scratches, dust,
etc.).¿½ Is there any code (or even pseudo code) written for this?¿½ I'd
be interested in experimenting with the coding, but I'm not quite sure
where to start at this point.

Brian