[mythtv-users] Weird build requirements

Ben Lancaster lists at benlancaster.co.uk
Wed Apr 4 19:31:16 UTC 2007

On 4 Apr 2007, at 19:33, Shane Hickey wrote:

> His TV is a monstrosity so video-out quality is going to be
> important to him.  I think he'd prefer composite out from the video
> card and DVI-out might work, but I think his satellite system is
> using his TVs only DVI input today, so he'd need a DVI switchbox or
> something.

If he's mad on picture, VGA's out of the question. You can get a part-
way decent picture from s-video provided he's willing to spend big
bucks on the right cable, and he's running a CRT TV. Absolutely no
good for anything HD.

> He's really looking for something that's as thin as possible (case-
> wise).  But, quiet is the biggest priority.

Quiet? Perhaps a fanless zalman reservator - uses passive cooling but
requires you to run a standalone heat exchange.

> Anyone have any suggestions on hardware?  I started to think maybe
> a mini-ITX mobo with a P4 or something, but I was concerned that
> it'd be tougher to cool.  So, I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

Actually, I've found that Intel's run significantly cooler than the
AMDs (my 3200+ ran at around 40°C, my 2.8 P4 is running at 27°C as I
watch TV now). I've also found that the P4's are more stable -
haven't had a single random hang compared to at least one a month
with my AMD.

Good luck convincing him!

Ben