[mythtv-users] Weird build requirements

Shane Hickey shane at howsyournetwork.com
Wed Apr 4 18:33:07 UTC 2007

I have a friend who wants a mythtv box but for a fairly specialized use.  Here is what he wants to do:

He wants a system that will a) play his mp3 music (over samba or NFS shares), b) have cool plugins like mythweather, a web browser, maybe even games and c) play his huge library of DVDs from his NAS box (mythvideo, I'm thinking).  All of the DVDs are either ISO images or just the VIDEO_TS directory of the DVD.

He has no need/desire to do anything with TV (I know.. weird, right?).  So, he won't need a tuner.  His TV is a monstrosity so video-out quality is going to be important to him.  I think he'd prefer composite out from the video card and DVI-out might work, but I think his satellite system is using his TVs only DVI input today, so he'd need a DVI switchbox or something.

He's really looking for something that's as thin as possible (case-wise).  But, quiet is the biggest priority.

Anyone have any suggestions on hardware?  I started to think maybe a mini-ITX mobo with a P4 or something, but I was concerned that it'd be tougher to cool.  So, I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

I tried to push the idea of a diskless, net-bootable box.  But, this will likely be the only linux box in the house and he'd like to keep it all on one box (with the exception of the MP3s and DVDs which are on Samba shares and his NAS box).

Thanks!

Shane

--
Shane Hickey <shane at howsyournetwork.com>: Network/System Consultant