[mythtv-users] Fresh Ubuntu server install - recomended Desktop?

David Campbell dave at cpfc.org
Wed Apr 4 14:41:31 UTC 2007

A JM wrote:
> Thanks guys for the replys.
>
> Openbox looks interesting... is it a complete desktop manager? Could
> you give a little more info on how your running Myth with it and how
> it integrates into Ubuntu?

I used to use openbox but unless you are running on a P3 or some low end
  PC it really makes little difference in the machines performance IMVHO.

There is no integration with Ubuntu other than selecting openbox when
you login via GDM or KDM.

It just *works*

Openbox used to annoy me because it used to forget the audio mixer
settings every login plus I didn't know how to do alt +f3 or whatever to
launch a shell when in myth to see what is going on without exiting -
I'm sure it's possible but I never read any docs.

Personally I much prefer KDE because it's easy to sayon boot - login as
mythtv and launch mythfrontend.  Kinda handy when other people have to
access mythtv when you aren't there.

Dave