[mythtv-users] Chicagoland services - Comcast, WoW, DirectTV, Dish...

Donald Webster fryfrog at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 19:37:35 UTC 2007

Each cable box ends up as a "tuner", so if you have two cable boxes
you have two tuners.  In my case, I have two cable boxes *and* two
air2pc cards, so I have 4 "tuners".  2 that get almost 300 channels, 2
that get 6 :p

If you *have* a cable coming into your house from the cable company
for any reason, I would bet $1 it has QAM HD signals for the *free to
air* stations on it.  You might also get some panzy ass SD channels in
QAM too, I seemed to get the SD version of all the HD stations as well
as what looked like a few PPV *preview* channels and a *TON* of
shopping channels.

Is that what you were asking?  My 2 air2pc cards are totally unrelated
and not dependant on the 2 firewire STBs.

Mine are ummm, air2pc hd... 5000? hd5500?  I never remember, it has
been a long time.  Here is the lscpi -v output on it.

03:0c.0 Network controller: Techsan Electronics Co Ltd B2C2 FlexCopII
DVB chip / Technisat SkyStar2 DVB card (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Techsan Electronics Co Ltd B2C2 FlexCopII DVB chip
/ Technisat SkyStar2 DVB card
        Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 21
        Memory at fb010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        I/O ports at 8c00 [size=32]

On 4/3/07, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/3/07, Donald Webster <fryfrog at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip />
> > > I'm in Chicagoland (Go Cubs!) and I'm on Comcast.  I get QAM delivery of
> > > broadcast HD (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, WGN/CW, WPWR (SD in HD), etc) but do
> > > not get any "premium" HD (Discovery) and I am on their $15/mo. plan.  I
> > > think that is a pretty good offering.
> > >
> > > I don't know if they run firewire any different off their boxes.
> > >
> > > As for satellite, forget it for HD.  You'll be recording anything off
> > > the dish using an analog card (PVR style).
>
> using the Air2PC or HDPC3000(?) cards do you have to have a dedicated
> 'service provider cable tuner' per card to capture the signal?  or can
> you use the tuner on your card (A2pc or HDxxxx)?
> if either/both of those cards work without the servicer providers box,
> maybe i'll go that route first.  i have cable internet and used to
> have cable until they went all digital.  what are my options for QAM
> cards?

AIM: fryfrog
ICQ: 304825
WWW: http://www.fryfrog.com