[mythtv-users] MacOS Frontend issues (scaling on OS X)

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 12:05:19 UTC 2007

On 4/3/07, Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:
> There have been several replies addressing the remote control issue, but
> no one has mentioned my issues with scaling and or
> brightness/contrast/saturation adjustment.
>
> The scaling issue is really a stopper for me. Without being able to vary
> the aspect ratio, I get a vertically squashed image with black borders
> top and bottom, on my 16x9 HD monitor. Under Linux on the same Mac Mini,
> I can use the 'W" keyboard command to vary the aspect ratio and get a
> full screen picture with the right aspect ratio,
> This doesn't work on OS X.
>
> How do others handle this?

My Mac Mini connected to a 720p HDTV doesn't have this problem.  It
plays widescreen HD content filling the whole screen, and SD with
black bars on the sides.    My MacBook Pro also correctly displays
video on its internal display.     Do you have the "scale video as
necessary" setting enabled in the TV Playback settings?

The only time I get an effect like what you mention is when the
station does a widescreen letterbox in a 4:3 broadcast (black bars on
all sides of picture, because it's broadcast that way), in which case
I can use the zoom function to expand the video area to the whole
screen.