[mythtv-users] Virtues of Separate FE/BE systems...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 18:31:29 UTC 2007

On 4/2/07, Jay <jay at donoghue.org> wrote:

> On 4/2/07, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com > wrote:
> > considering picking up an HDHR to play with even though we don't have
> > an HDTV (yet).  so i don't really need a BE for extra tuner slots.
> > does setting up a dedicated BE make sense?  or should i just put
> > together a file server for tv/video storage?  i should mention that i
> > will be upgrading my current FE so that it's HD capable and i was
> > going to use my current FE MoBo/Proc (Chaintech 7NIF2/AMD Athlon XP
> > 3200) for the BE (great SD FE ;)
>
> Hi, I just wanted to comment that I have this same motherboard with an
> XP2500+, and have no trouble playing HD content.  I use an HDHR to record
> the shows, and output to a 720p projector with an Nvidia 6200 card.
>
> I was in the same boat several months ago regarding the split of FE/BE, but
> wound up sticking with my existing hardware and upgrading the video card
> rather than adding another computer.

hmm, maybe i'll have to look at my hardware again.  maybe i have an
XP2300 :)  i didn't think the proc had enough oomph to handle HD when
i bought it.  maybe i was mistaken (especially since i've never tested
it out).

Jay, what Vid Card did you go with?  i've just been using the onboard
NVidia whatever on the Chaintech MoBo.  are you using xvmc or the
power of the proc for HD playback?
maybe i'll just use the spare pc i have laying around to set up a
multimedia fileserver...