[mythtv-users] Virtues of Separate FE/BE systems...

Jay jay at donoghue.org
Mon Apr 2 18:01:51 UTC 2007

On 4/2/07, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:

> considering picking up an HDHR to play with even though we don't have
> an HDTV (yet).  so i don't really need a BE for extra tuner slots.
> does setting up a dedicated BE make sense?  or should i just put
> together a file server for tv/video storage?  i should mention that i
> will be upgrading my current FE so that it's HD capable and i was
> going to use my current FE MoBo/Proc (Chaintech 7NIF2/AMD Athlon XP
> 3200) for the BE (great SD FE ;)

Hi, I just wanted to comment that I have this same motherboard with an
XP2500+, and have no trouble playing HD content.  I use an HDHR to record
the shows, and output to a 720p projector with an Nvidia 6200 card.

I was in the same boat several months ago regarding the split of FE/BE, but
wound up sticking with my existing hardware and upgrading the video card
rather than adding another computer.

 - J