[mythtv-users] rlimits configuration

Al al210 at hamster.foxhollow.ca
Mon Apr 2 13:30:17 UTC 2007

I'm trying to enable rlimits as in the mythtv docs.

Good documentation is rather difficult to find.
Searches always seem to result in references to a tell all wiki at
steamballoon.com, which is no longer is in existence.

I have discovered that the information in the mythtv docs regarding edits to
limits.conf is not the whole story.
It appears I need to enable the use of limits by adding 'session required
pam_limits.so' to one or more files in /etc/pam.d
I don't know which ones though.

Specifically in reference to mythfrontend running under user 'mythtv', where
should the session entrie(s) be added?

To cover concerns regarding rlimits compatibility, I'm using the following
which should be good.
kernel: 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
pam: pam-0.99.6.2-3.16.fc6