[mythtv-users] External channel change not passing channel

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 2 12:10:14 UTC 2007

On 04/02/2007 08:00 AM, duck wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> I'm assuming you're a North
>> American analog TV user.  If so, when you define your channels you
>> should /not/ do so using the Channel Scan.  You should do so using the
>> "Fetch channels from listings source" button.  Had you done so, your
>> channels would have been created correctly.  See the top of
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/261302#261302 for
>> more.  I recommend you clean up your channels as I described in the
>> linked post.
> This could be also related to me not being able to use
> mythfilldatabase.  I tried using scan channels and removed them and
> tried using fetch channels.  Neither worked
>
> I have to use the following script to update my  guide:
>
> tv_grab_na_dd ...

We quit using tv_grab... in North America a few years ago.  There's now
a (better) grabber "built-in" to mythfilldatabase.  You should specify
mythfilldatabase as your, er, "mythfilldatabase Program" (that's in the
frontend settings under General).  In mythtv-setup, specify a video
source that uses "North America (DataDirect) (Internal)" as its listings
source.  Then, specify your DataDirect username/password (the same
you're using with tv_grab_na_dd).

> I have directway and I am sure this is the problem!  I have trouble
> connecting to many sites because of Directway and or a configuration
> issue on my end.

I can't help with that.  Hope that the internal grabber works better for
you than does tv_grab_na_dd.

If all else fails, you can use tv_grab_na_dd to get an xmltv file and
you can probably get your channels defined using some of the
command-line arguments available to mythfilldatabase (see
"mythfilldatabase --help").  I'm not writing up details because it's too
much work if the internal grabber works, but feel free to ask more
questions if you get stuck.

Good luck.

Mike