[mythtv-users] External channel change not passing channel

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Mon Apr 2 04:29:33 UTC 2007

    > Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 19:36:25 -0400
    > From: duck <tduckett at tdux.com>

    > > This might seem a silly question but you do have the channel number filled
    > > in for the channel?

    > This was the problem!  I have tried everything and would not have
    > thought about adding the channel number on the second page!

I've remarked before that having it on the second page is
extraordinarily poor UI design.

(IIRC, in -my- case, I didn't even know there -was- a second page,
since the various next/back buttons were clipped by my display
geometry (I was running in a window, and Myth won't rescale if you get
the aspect ratio wrong---and my LCD screens are unusually wide for
their height compared to most peoples' screens) and I didn't even
realize it until I couldn't even find a field someone was trying to
tell me to change because I had no idea there was a second page.  And
even if that hadn't happened, separating that one field from all the
related fields on the first page suddenly jumps the cognitive
complexity 'cause now you've got memory involved.  Far better, if it's
deemed impossible to pack more on the page, to reorganize what's on
each page to bring all these fields together.  I daresay if the OP had
seen a blank field next to all the non-blank fields, he might have had
a crucial insight and saved a lot of time.)