[mythtv-users] TV out for unlisted card?

Angus sylvania at istop.com
Mon Apr 2 01:45:30 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 31/03/07, Angus <sylvania at istop.com> wrote:
>

>>     But I should have been clearer about what I was requesting help
>> with, which is country-independent. I'm looking for an *alternative* to
>> the FX5200. It seems awfully overpowered for what I need, so if I can
>> get something just as compatible for less, great.
>>

> You *may* be able to get away with a PCI/AGP-based NVIDIA MX440 type
> (or later MX4000) card that has TV-Out. I'm not current on the level
> of TV-out support in the open source NVIDIA driver, so you may need to
> ensure you get a video card supported by the NVIDIA binary driver.

    Before I go for a card, I need to be certain it will work. This is
the sort of thing I want to get right the first time, unlike the capture
card I bought which I thought was also TV out.

> However, as Rod says, be aware that using a slow CPU with a
> non-hardware capture card that will produce non-XvMC acceleratable
> video, and a slow video card without driver support or for MPEG2
> acceleration, is not the best situation.

    How would I know if my card is "non-hardware"? And of all the cards
I looked at, I don't remember seeing XvMC as part of their advertised
specs. Is it not a popular standard?
    Well, looking at my capture card (KWorld Global Terminator) it says
it supports MPEG-4/2/1 but then also says (note: codec need(sic) to be
downloaded from internet). What does that mean?