[mythtv-users] Questions about RAID

OJ ole at legaard.net
Fri Sep 29 07:35:03 UTC 2006

I have started to move my music, pictures, and movies to my MythTV
backend server. My backend server is a AMD64 server with 1 250GB HD and
512 MB RAM.

Now I'm starting to worry about all my data. The problem is that it is
starting to become a huge amount of data so normal backup is not an
realistic option for me.

I'm thinking of buying 3 250GB (or maybe 500GB) HD and setting them up
with software RAID.

1. Is RAID the only solution for this purpose?
2. Is it possible to expand this RAID array later (insert an extra HD)?
3. My DVD collection will use a lot of HD space. Any suggestions on how
to reduce the file size (divX, ...)?