[mythtv-users] Looking for help with xorg.conf

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Fri Sep 29 01:51:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 06:21:35PM -0700, Andrew Davis wrote:
> Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:21:35 -0700
> From: Andrew Davis <andrew at nccomp.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Looking for help with xorg.conf
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> My video out card is a Leadtek WinFast PX6200 which linux sees as a
> "nVidia GeForce 6200 TurboCache". In nutshell it has DVI out, VGA out,
> and a port that takes a dongle that gives me s-video and composite out.
> I'm trying to setup a dual-head display that goes to my TV and the DVI
> port, but everything I seem to try gives me a blank screen everywhere
> following a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE, forcing me to ssh in and revert to the
> original xorg.conf. Basically, I want to enable DVI out to a 17'' LCD at
> resolutions of 1280x1024, 1024x768, and 800x600 with 32bit color. I
> *also* want to go out to my TV which is a JVC 61'' widescreen plasma
> (HD-61Z456). And, of course, I'd like the TV out to be widescreen (16:9)
> resolution(s) since all my DVDs and rips are widescreen format. I was
> able to disable the LCD section and enable an option for "TVOutFormat"
> "SVIDEO" and I could get a signal on my TV, though it had a border all
> around and wasn't very sharp. Unfortunately, trying the composite cables
> *and* "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE" didn't seem to work. The config below is
> all I've been able to get to work for the TV:

Do you mean COMPONENT outputs?  Composite video is one cable.  Component
out (HD, DVD) is 3 cables.  If you really meant COMPONENT, you need to
specify the TVStandard as HD480p, HD540p, HD720p, or HD1080i depending
on what the monitor can display.  Depending on the version of your
nVidia driver you may also need to specify TVOutFormat as COMPONENT.

> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "nvidia"
>         VendorName  "Leadtek"
>         BoardName   "Leadtek WinFast PX6200 - nVidia GeForce 6200
> TurboCache"
>         #Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
>         #TV Out Setup
>         Option     "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
>         Option     "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
>        #Option     "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
> EndSection
>
> ... but doing this gave me TV out only, not DVI out as well... so while
> I can see it somewhat decently on the TV, its blurry enough that I have
> to use my LCD monitor to fix things (or a remote console via ssh), but
> since I can't seem to get both the LCD and TV going at the same time,
> this is getting quite frustrating.

To get DVI and TV out either let the card auto detect your devices or
change ConnectedMonitor to include DVI and TV.  You also may want to
enable twinview.  The nVidia readme has a section on dual monitor setups.

Patrick Ouellette                 pat at flying-gecko.net
kb8pym at arrl.net                   Amateur Radio: KB8PYM
Living life to a Jimmy Buffett soundtrack
"Crank the amp to 11, this needs more cowbell - and a llama wouldn't hurt either"