[mythtv-users] .20 needing more CPU than .19? (My upgrade story)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 23:25:51 UTC 2006

On 9/28/06, H P Ladds <householdwords at gmail.com> wrote:
> Short answer: yes, I'm seeing high CPU usage.
>
> Long answer: I'm not certain .20 is to blame.  I noticed considerably
> reduced performance after switching from a Knoppmyth to FC 5 install on a
> AMD 64 3500+. nVidia FX 5200, pcHDTV hd3000, 1 gig ram machine. The last
> time I used the Knoppmyth setup was to watch the finals of the US Open
> Tennis with OTA High Def. It worked beautifully.
>
> Since then I when to FC 5 / MythTV .20 and have trouble bringing in regular
> SD with out stutter and freeze. CPU is commonly above 85%.
>

> On 9/12/06, Justin The Cynical < cynical at penguinness.org> wrote:
> > Current frontend/backend machine:
> >
> > Matsonic MS9337C Pentium 4 2.26GHz, socket 478
> > 512 Meg PC3300
> > MSI Nvidia 6200 AGP (running at 4x), NVidia driver 8774
> > SB Live 5.1
> > LFS based, Kernel 2.6.16.9
> >
> > Tuners: Avermedia M179 and a PCHD3000
> >
> > Back Story:
> >
> > I had the machine in a generic tower case, until the wife told me to get
> > a Silverstone case we saw at Fry's (I was going to repaint and modify an
> > old gateway desktop case originally, but hey, I'm not going to argue
> > with her when she tells me to buy new kit).
> >
> > When I moved the hardware over to the LC17, I found that the case didn't
> > leave much room for cables.  I managed to cram them all in, but the IDE
> > ribbon is not very smooth and the power wires run in the same area.  I'm
> > not happy about this and I've not had a chance to reroute everything.
> >
> > I was using a celeron 2 gig CPU at the time.
> >
> > At this time, the digital signal for KPTV (121 in the Portland Oregon
> > metro area) started receiving "WriteAudio: buffer underrun"...  a lot of
> > them, making livetv and recordings from that channel unwatchable (I
> > didn't have any previous recordings, pre-move case change, to compare it
> > to).
> >
> > So, I picked up the newer Pentium 4.  KPTV started playing back
> > normally, and the system as a whole started running much smoother
> > (imagine that).
> >
> > Enter Myth .20
> >

> > Pulling the code from the release-0-20-fixes (rev 11157), I compiled and
> > installed.  While the system as a whole has some great improvements and
> > additions, KPTV started getting the audio underruns again.
> >
> > During my experimentation with this, I tried turning off deinterlacing,
> > and the underruns were reduced by a noticeable amount.  And since
> > deinterlacing takes CPU, it would seem that the .20 rev needs more CPU.
> >
> > Also, the themes seem to be missing menus (going into the brows view for
> > mythvideo using GNAT crashed X as before), but that's something I can
> > fix later.
> >
> > So, those of you who are running .20, are you noticing higher load and
> > CPU usage, or am I running into another issue and just don't know it?

well, I just tried watching HD on my bedroom frontend, which is an
AthlonXP 1600+ using XvMC, under 0.19 I was able to with about 80% CPU
usage, now with 0.20 (and no other changes) I can't, I get upwards of
95% CPU and audio stuttering. disabing deinterlacing and opengl sync
doesn't seem to make a lick of difference. so I'll agree here, 0.20's
frontend definitely uses more CPU or something with XvMC seems to be
"broken"...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!