[mythtv-users] .20 needing more CPU than .19? (My upgrade story)

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Thu Sep 28 17:54:33 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 10:23:27AM -0400, Disconnect wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Adam Hirsch did have cause to say:
>
> > Justin The Cynical (cynical at penguinness.org) wrote:
> >
> > > So, those of you who are running .20, are you noticing higher load and
> > > CPU usage, or am I running into another issue and just don't know it?
> >
> > The system had 4 consecutive shows to record last night, and while it
> > successfully recorded them, I noticed that every show past the first one
> > had noticeably more digital artifacts than similar shows recorded under .19
> > -- my hypothesis is that commflagging might have caused some contention for
> > CPU cycles... but then CPU power's never been an issue before, and with the
> > Hauppauge card, I figured I was safe from this.  (I'm recording SD content
> > from a DishNetwork satellite box.)
>
> I can confirm a lot more cpu usage over here. Using a pchdtv-3000, in .18 I
> could record (SD or HD) while flagging 2 shows (current and previous) and
> still watch a third.  (All digital, I use the svideo only for the directivo,
> not for mythtv.)

Are you using XvMC?  There is a thread in -dev about some possible
issues with OSD being on when it shouldn't be and some other changes
that may help those of us with stuttering XvMC setups.  The OSD issue
seems to take up some processor time, and the other issue starves the
decoder causing prebuffering pauses (IIRC).

Pat

Patrick Ouellette                 pat at flying-gecko.net
kb8pym at arrl.net                   Amateur Radio: KB8PYM
Living life to a Jimmy Buffett soundtrack
"Crank the amp to 11, this needs more cowbell - and a llama wouldn't hurt either"