[mythtv-users] .20 needing more CPU than .19? (My upgrade story)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 14:34:59 UTC 2006

On 9/28/06, Disconnect <mythtv at gotontheinter.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Adam Hirsch did have cause to say:
>
> > Justin The Cynical (cynical at penguinness.org) wrote:
> >
> > > So, those of you who are running .20, are you noticing higher load and
> > > CPU usage, or am I running into another issue and just don't know it?
> >
> > The system had 4 consecutive shows to record last night, and while it
> > successfully recorded them, I noticed that every show past the first one
> > had noticeably more digital artifacts than similar shows recorded under .19
> > -- my hypothesis is that commflagging might have caused some contention for
> > CPU cycles... but then CPU power's never been an issue before, and with the
> > Hauppauge card, I figured I was safe from this.  (I'm recording SD content
> > from a DishNetwork satellite box.)
>
> I can confirm a lot more cpu usage over here. Using a pchdtv-3000, in .18 I
> could record (SD or HD) while flagging 2 shows (current and previous) and
> still watch a third.  (All digital, I use the svideo only for the directivo,
> not for mythtv.)
>
> In .20, I have trouble watching SD while SD records and flags. (3 SD jobs.)
> Even with deinterlacing off, its almost unusable. (Some 1080i HD shows end
> up totally unwatchable with deinterlacing, no matter what the method is.)
>
> This is watching a SD stream, no background jobs, no recording, no nothing:
>  3987 root      25   0  161m 145m  47m R 98.9 14.4   1142:43 X
> 19585 mythtv    10  -5  490m 308m  78m S 88.7 30.6 747:38.43 mythfrontend
>
> Drives are 3 3G-SATA 300gb Maxtors (can't recommend them -at all- btw, just
> for the archives.. they die, a lot..) in a raid0. Plenty of disk IO
> bandwidth available (or at least there was..)
>
> 32bit kernel/userspace, SMP kernel, dual core cpu:
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 35
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
> stepping        : 2
> cpu MHz         : 2010.466
> cache size      : 512 KB
> physical id     : 0
> siblings        : 2
> core id         : 0
> cpu cores       : 2
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm
> 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy ts fid vid ttp
> bogomips        : 4029.81

are you on a fe/be or seperates? I've got a dedicated BE and am able
to record 3 HD, 1 SD have 2 commflagging processes run and watch an HD
show on my remote frontend all at the same time with mythbackend using
up ~10-15% cpu on an Athlon64 3200+ (commflagging using the rest of my
cpu %)

Are your commflag process running niced (I believe they should run at
level 17 iirc)? I don't see why your X2 isn't capable of doing what
your asking of it.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!