[mythtv-users] DVD import to iso produces unplayable file, but "perfect" mode works great.

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 24 04:07:37 UTC 2006

>> Any ideas what's going on?
>
>ISO copy does as good (or bad) a job as a direct dd from the device into a
>file. No attempt to bypass any form of protection on the disc is taken.

That's not entirely true. ISO copy uses mtd, which at least performs the
required handshake with the drive for bypassing CSS. It doesn't deal with
more advanced forms of copy protection though. Bad sectors on the disc will
make the copy fail. There are some tools for Windows that handle bad sectors
(as part of copy protection) by looking at which sectors are actually
required for playback and copying only those, but I have yet to find a tool
like that for linux.